Oh breakfast, supposedly the most important meal of the day. While I don’t necessarily agree with it being the most important for everyone (some people would rather have bigger lunches and dinner!), I am a HUGE fan of breakfast food. Maybe mildly obsessed… it is going to be featured at my wedding (chicken and waffles, French toast, bacon biscuits– you get the point). But that is besides the point.
While I do love baking and cooking beautiful foods, I don’t have the time for that during the weekdays. But if I don’t get a little breakfast in me, it can get dangerous for the people around me (I am a VERY hangry person. Ask anyone else in the EVERYlete family).
So today I’m going to share three of my favorite breakfasts with you guys:
1) For when you have time to meal prep the day before: EGG BAKE
I LOVE egg bake. What is great about it is that you can use anything that you have in your fridge, mix up a dozen eggs, throw it in the oven for an hour, and you have meals for a week!
Because it is so flexible, you can come up with whatever toppings you want. The only trick is that the toppings have to be cooked before you put the egg bake in the oven. So if you want meat in your egg bake, cook it in a skillet first. If you want potatoes or butternut squash, make sure they are soft first. If you use frozen veggies, defrost them and squeeze out the water. You get the picture.
Some of the different combinations that I have made with egg bake are:
- Breakfast sausage, bell peppers, onion, and spinach (pictured!)
- Bacon, butternut squash, onion, and kale
- Chicken, sweet potatoes, onions, and peppers
- Steak, hash browns, jalapeños, and cheese
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Cooked toppings of your choice (meats, cheese, veggies, potatoes, sky is the limit! Just use your imagination!)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9×13 pan
- Whisk 1 dozen eggs with a splash of milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Cook desired toppings and put them in the pan
- Pour the egg mixture on top
- Cook for 1 hour
2) When you have five minutes in your morning: GIANT PANCAKE
I get super excited about pancakes. No lie, there was about a month when I first moved to Minot, ND where the only thing that I ate was pancakes.
For breakfast, lunch, and dinner!
If you guys love pancakes as much as I do, you can have them every morning for breakfast. All you need is a couple minutes! My favorite brands for pancake mixes are Grain4Grain and Kodiak cakes. They are higher in protein than other pancake brands, which means you can expect to stay fuller, longer.
- Mix 1/2 cup of pancake mix, 1/2 cup water
- Pour all of it in a greased pan (set to medium)
- Leave it for a few minutes. Get dressed, get ready, do whatever you need
- Flip it, and continue getting ready
- Take it off the pan and you are good to go! If you want, top it with peanut butter, syrup, whipped cream, fruit. Roll it up and you have a portable pancake breakfast!
3) When you have literally no time in the morning or breakfast isn’t your thing: STRATEGIC SNACKS
I am someone who needs breakfast to function. But I get that not everyone is like that. However, if you are on this page, I can assume that you are an athlete. Regardless of what kind of athlete you are, you need to fuel your body in order to perform your best.
This is why I like to leave emergency snacks in my car, at work, or in my backpack. Some of my favorites are:
- Protein bars (I like Quest, Clif Protein, and KIND bars)
- Tuna Packs (my favorite is the lemon pepper)
- Fruit (in the summertime, my go-to is watermelon!)
I hope you guys are inspired to try a new meal and enjoy fueling your body. Get out there, enjoy delicious foods and enjoy your adventures!